If you are a custom t-shirt enthusiast and love to wear those beautifully printed garments, you might have noticed how some of those t-shirt prints fade with every wash. You are quite familiar with the problem of shrinkage issue when laundering the t-shirts. Even the colors also fade with time. Undoubtedly, it is a disappointing experience if that nice piece of garments were your hot favorite. You might have customized some of your t-shirts with shirts printing online from a popular brand in this genre but you have to be a bit extra-cautious while washing these clothes, especially those digitally printed or screen printed. Your care lengthens the lifespan of those t-shirts.
Buy or customize your t-shirts from a reliable brand
Quality matters that every household around the world would admit. Poor quality garments don’t last longer while the garments brought from a reputed seller would provide good service for a pretty good time. It would be a good return of your money as well as a good step towards an eco-friendly lifestyle. Your favorite t-shirts will be with you for years when the quality is good. Know what the fabric quality is. T-shirts made of hemp, cotton, or linen make long-lasting t-shirts. The color may fade slightly which is natural. Polyester is also a long-lasting fabric and retains color more than the other fabrics but make sure that your skin is polyester-friendly. In any case, buy your t-shirts from a reliable brand. Also, ask them clearly if the color or print will be an issue and how to rinse the products for maintaining the quality.
Digital printing is different from screen printing
In digital printing, a different type of ink is used for printing on the t-shirts than screen printing. Many customized t-shirt manufacturers use digital printing when the order quantity is low just to lower the manufacturing cost and offer price to the customer. But that’s not all, digital printing has some benefits that are not available on other modes of customized t-shirts manufacturing. Digital printing has virtually no limitation in color shades. Moreover, for full-color photograph printing, digital printing is the best choice. When a t-shirt or any garment is digitally printed, the ink used to print is get absorbed into the t-shirt fabric. This method of printing is in no way different from the digital printing process used in home printers.
So, a digitally printed t-shirt needs to be washed a bit differently. In this matter, you should follow the instruction of the experts or as provided by the shirt printing online service.
In screen printing machines, the ink is made of plastisol which is just another version of PVC particles. Plastisol particles make the ink more durable on the fabrics. In many tees, you might have noticed that the print can be felt with touch. This is a screen printing job. After a certain time, the screen printing stands rock solid on the fabric.
Whether it is digital printing or screen printing, you need to follow certain cleaning and washing process to lengthen the durability of your favorite customized t-shirt.
read more: How Do You Hold Out in a Virtual Exhibition?
Tips for custom t-shirt longevity
If you care about your garments, they will provide you service for a pretty long. Here are some useful tips to keep any custom t-shirt in its best conditions for at least two years –
- No matter what type of t-shirt you buy- cotton, polyester, linen, mixed, or anything else, never use warm or hot water to clean a printed t-shirt. There is a marked difference between a general t-shirt and a custom t-shirt. The printed part of it is sophisticated. Keep in mind that the printed part contains ink that can melt or damage if the water is hot. Hot water along with washing chemicals can initiate chemical reactions damaging the print in more than one way. You shouldn’t apply hot water to any fabric if you are concerned about the longevity of the apparel. So, the first point to be kept in mind that use only cold water or normal tap water to wash your printed t-shirts.
- Some people prefer to add a tablespoon of bleaching agent or caustic soda with detergent and water to make the garment cleaner. It’s right that a bleaching agent can make a garment look cleaner but it also causes several types of unpredictable harms that you cannot imagine. For printed t-shirt washing, any bleaching agent is a big “no”. Once again, the printed part can completely or partially destroy if you use a bleaching agent while washing the t-shirt.
- Don’t put your custom printed t-shirt in the drier. In the drier, hot air blows at a high speed that is not good for digital or screen printing. It is often seen that screen print crack in different places after two to three usage of drier to dry the t-shirts. The user of the drier also causes shrinkage issues. Polyester-type fabrics lose the luster when getting the certain heat of the drier.
- It may sound weird, but try to avoid direct sunlight to dry printed t-shirts. Direct sunlight, especially when the temperature outside is high has the same effect as drier. After a few washes, you will find the print is fading or cracking.
- Never use a hot iron over the printed t-shirt. The reason is more or less the same as explained above (drier and sunlight). Ironing over the printed part weakens the dyes and adhesives used for coloration and keeping it embedded over the fabric.
- Lastly, turn the t-shirt inside out while washing and cleaning the t-shirt. It helps in deep cleaning as well as protection to the printed part.
Some quick tips exclusively for you
- Wash each printed t-shirt separately – even try not to wash other garments with your custom printed t-shirt.
- You can use a washing machine to wash the t-shirts but it is feasible to wash them manually.
- Don’t any rough detergent – ensure that you are using the detergent of a reputed brand.
- Dry a printed t-shirt under a shade – avoid direct sunlight.
- Fold the t-shirt after drying correctly – learn how to fold a printed t-shirt
- Use shirt printing online for a quality product – a quality printed t-shirt can look shining even after hundreds of washes.